Thursday, January 5, 2012

The 2011-12 Golden State Warriors will make the playoffs

You heard it here first: The Golden State Warriors (currently 2-4) will make the playoffs in the NBA this year.

Here's my theory:

First: Monta, Steph and David Lee need to become elite NBA players.  This starts with believing they are elite NBA players.  I think they can become elite NBA players.  I think new head coach Mark Jackson can instill in them the belief that they are elite NBA players.  Actually, mostly just Monta is an elite player.  But Steph can be a phenomenally good player, and David Lee can be the third punch the Warriors need.  But all three need to step up.  Essentially, I think this year's Warriors are a bit like the 2010 world champion baseball Giants.  A team nobody really gave any credit at the beginning of the year that has the magic parts to win a championship.  But in order to win a championship the Warriors have to play defense.  I believe Mark Jackson can inspire them to play the defense they need to win.  The Warriors need to be insane on defense.  They have to play without reason.  It has to be this crazed desire to help each other, to do whatever is physically necessary to stop the opposing team. Play team defense, which also requires a great deal of intelligence.  If one player gets beat, the other four Warriors have to scramble to the ball with insanity and belief.  On defense, there is no ego, there is no single player, it is a mob of energy, every player defends his man as best he can, but the other Warriors scramble, thrash, pummel other players to get in position to stop drives, get hands in passing lanes, move feet move feet move feet, contest shots, block out, rebound.

I believe with Kwame Brown, Andres Bierdins, Ekpe Udoh, and a couple other bigs, the Warriors can protect the basket.  I think Kwame Brown needs to step up and play inspired.  I believe with Marc Jacksons' coaching Kwame can do this.  I believe Kwame can protect the basket enough and rebound enough.  I believe he can over-achieve this year.

Dorell Wright has to hit threes like he did last year, which I believe he will.  And the guys like Rush, Ish, Klay Thompson (who I think was a horrible pick, but I hope can add something with his shot) and now Nate Robinson (I don't expect much from Nate) have to step up on a semi-regular basis and carry the team when others falter.

The Warriors, in my estimation can play with every team in the NBA in the regular season except the Heat.  But nobody can really play with Heat.  And it only matters in the playoffs.  Then we gotta hope for magic.  But who knows, the season is long and a million things could happen, like injuries.  This brings me to Steph Curry.  He has to be healthy for this all to work.  He has to stop spraining his ankle.  A newscaster today thought it might be good if he sits for a couple of weeks now and really lets his ankle heal.  This might be a good idea.  Regardless, Steph has to play, and he has score.  He's got to go back and watch video from his days at Davidson and realize there is no better pure shooter in the NBA. This guy can be great.  It doesn't look like it, cause he's so slight of build, but that shot is so pure.  He can be amazing or a regular basis.  I think he knows it, but he's just got to make it happen.

In sum, I think the Warriors have the talent, mostly Monta, then Steph and just enough of David Lee.  They also have the defensive size with Kwame Brown, Biedrins, Udoh, and Donald MacGuire to protect the basket and rebound enough.  They don't have to lead the league in defense or rebounding (and they most certainly won't), they just need to play defense and rebound enough to win.  And I think they have the magic, the coaching of Mark Jackson with this combination of players.  I believe they will make the playoffs, just barely.  And after that who knows, crazy shit can happen.

with Bay love,
Anthony

These Days




No comments:

Post a Comment