Thursday, August 8, 2013

Jazz and the Wes Montgomery Anomaly

I've never really been into Jazz. I always thought it was too complicated. Give me the simple, funky bass lines of Bob Marley and the Wailers, a fat Tupac beat or the simple three chord folk songs of Woody Guthrie. But Jazz, it never really lit me up.

Many of my friends and acquaintances love Jazz. Many people suggested I listen to John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, Art Blakey...the list goes on and on. I've always felt that jazz musicians are the most intellectual and probably the "best" musicians. I hold them in higher regard than the best classical musicians. Obviously it would be impossible to say who was more gifted: Mozart or Coltrane. But most of the time, I'll go with the jazz musician. The technical ability combined with the ability to understand the foundation of a piece of music and then be able to improvise is mind blowing. I have John Coltrane's "Blue Train" and Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". But my relationship with jazz is much more one of almost detached appreciation rather than soul squishing enthusiasm.

This changed recently when I listened to Wes Montgomery for the first time. Two people I respect maybe most in the world when it comes to music (music period, regardless of genre or ability) are my friends Alex Gedeon and Lyn Hinegardner. In another post I will explain why. When these two talk about music, each in their own very different way, I listen. Alex once told me, a while back, that he bought his first guitar after listening to Wes Montgomery. He wanted to be Wes Montgomery. He wanted to play jazz guitar brilliantly with his thumb in place of a pick like Wes Montgomery. I found out more recently, last Saturday night to be specific, that Lyn also bought a guitar many years ago with the hope of playing guitar like Wes Montgomery.

I should have at least checked out Wes Montgomery after hearing it inspired Alex to start playing and go buy a guitar. But it wasn't until Lyn also relayed her deep appreciation for this man's music and playing that I finally got wise. I'm a slow, slow learner so often. Lyn and Alex don't know each other, and they play and appreciate such different music, which made this even more amazing to me. And if asked, I never would have guessed Wes Montgomery played such a significant role in their musical lives. It's so cool.

So finally this last week, I went on iTunes, did some quick research, purchased "Incredible Jazz Guitar", supposedly one of Montgomery's early and important albums. Then I finally understood. Ah ha. Ok. This dude, man, there is just something different. He plays with more soul, his notes hit harder, like a Bob Marley bass line or a funky rap beat. And, of course, now I'm like, what is my problem? I need to go back and listen again to Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Coltrane, Davis, all the Jazz greats. It's amazing how one musician can open (or re-open, in my case) an entire genre of music. And as a music lover, this experience reminds me how important and necessary it is to listen to and draw inspiration from all forms of music, from all over the world. I'll need to do a blog on Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn or Fela Kuti or Philip Glass or the many other musicians who we don't hear on mainstream music outlets here in the U.S. yet who have significantly impacted so many great mainstream artists. And more importantly, whose music is just incredible.

Don't be stupid like me, go out and buy "Incredible Jazz Guitar", "Tequila", "Live at the Tsubo-Berkeley, CA" or any other album by Wes Montgomery. You'll be giving yourself a gift.

with love for the opening of hearts to new music, and to the special music and playing of self-taught Wes Montgomery,
Anthony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDs3KgnQJk









No comments:

Post a Comment