Sunday, August 14, 2011

chasing good new music

I love new music.  I love how it makes me feel.  It's exciting and inspiring.  Good new music heals the parts of my emotional stomach that are all fucked up.  I feel good new music in my emotional stomach with warmth and happiness.  I picture parts of my stomach lighting up, like sections of the brain in an MRI machine.  I imagine my stomach split into various regions.  I imagine a chart that shows dotted lines demarcating the different areas of my stomach.  It's like a picture of a cow that shows all the various cuts of meat: rump roast, rib, sirloin, brisket, flank, shank.

 Unlike the cuts of meat, the image of my dotted-line demarcated stomach shows regions of my own personal fucked up history.  For example, one demarcated section of my stomach would have the header, "nyc: January 2007 to May 2007."  Music lights up these various areas of my demarcated stomach, and when the music lights up these areas, i feel healing happening.  Sometimes the happiness is overwhelming.

The problem is that I also respond to good new music a bit like a drug addict.  Because the feeling for me can be so euphoric, I have a tendency to over-listen to individual songs.  I feel that I need the healing happiness of the song, so I will listen to the song like 35 times in a row.  This isn't always healthy.  I don't exactly know why.

The other problem with good new music is that I'm also constantly on the look-out.  Well not always, thankfully.  But I do get into this mode of perpetually searching.  Once you discover a great new song and listen to it a hundred times, it begins to lose its appeal.  And the chase for a new song continues, which creates an insatiable feeling along with emptiness.   Then there's whole thing about trying to be cool and be the first to broadcast new music.  That's why there are so many blogs about new music.  Everyone wants to be the first to tell everyone about a great band.  Part of this is really positive.  If by exposing a friend to a new band, I bring a new joy to my friend's life, then I have done something wonderful.  But the chase for new good music can turn into something akin to addiction, at least for me.  So with all of that out of the way, here are a few great tunes you may not have heard!!!!!!!!!

Magic Bullets "Lying Around" (San Francisco band. Go Giants! Really good.)

Ponytail "Flabbermouse" (Baltimore band. I recommend checking out the band members' side projects, as well.)

Here We Go Magic "Collector" (Peter Hale, the drummer in this band, used to be in Trick and the Heartstrings, one of my favorite bands of all time.)

Yellow Alex (Alex was the lead signer of Trick and the Heartstrings. In this video he's talking about his own creative process. Check out his new band Yellow Alex and the Feelings:

Yellow Alex and the Feelings

Elvis "Don't Be Cruel" (I'm working on a post documenting all the reasons why Elvis sucks. But goddamn he was one talented son of a bitch even though he stole all his songs from black people.)


Much love and tranquility in the quest for good music,
Anthony

ps - got the postcard Maria!  enjoy your travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment