Thursday, April 21, 2011

wholehearted

http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

In my last post I attempted to connect with you out there struggling mightily with some form of severe emotional distress: depression, anxiety, panic attacks, bi-polar, schizophrenia, addiction, to name a few.  I didn't offer any suggestions in my last post.  I purposefully did not offer any ideas for what to do because of something very true: I don't presume to know what will help lift you out of the mud.  On the other hand, in providing no resource I felt like I did not offer any support.  I know when I was in the throws of severe emotional distress, as much I hated anybody or anything that attempted to provide Advice, I desperately needed support.  So tonight, with this link, I offer a possibility, just one thing in forty billion.  However, if a video about worthiness, shame and vulnerability doesn't sound like your cup of tea, or if a video about worthiness, shame and vulnerability makes you want to vomit, by all means, leave it alone, let someone else walk down that path.

The link above takes you to a talk titled, "The Power of Vulnerability."  The gist is that human beings, bottom line, crave connection with other human beings; and allowing yourself to be vulnerable with other people actually allows you to connect more and better.  The talk is counter-intuitive and brilliant although it is unlikely to solve your problem.  It's just one stone on a path through a Japanese pond.  Of course, you may not like Koi.

with love,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment